Welcome to Rejoicing In the Lord – Steps To Christ, Chapter 12
Christian is the epistle of Christ, known and read of all men.
Jesus has promised His aid, but not apart from our effort.
As thou hast sent me into the world, Jesus said, even so have I also sent them into the world. I in them, and thou in me, . . . that the world may know that thou hast sent me. John 17:18, 23. Christians are set as light-bearers on the way to heaven. They are to reflect to the world the light shining upon them from Christ. Their life and character should be such that through them others will get a right conception of Christ and His service.
Satan is leading the children of God into unbelief. He delights to see them:
- mistrusting God, doubting His willingness and power to save us
- feel that the Lord will do us harm by his providence
- having imagination with false ideas concerning God
- believing his lies and dishonoring God by distrusting Him and murmuring against Him
- not dwelling upon the truth as it is in Jesus.
Satan ever seeks to make the religious life one of gloom. He desires it to appear toilsome and difficult. Thus when the Christians present in their own life this view of religion, promote the falsehood of Satan.
It is not wise to dwell on the unpleasant recollections of a past life
Contemplate the bright pictures Christ has presented to us:
- the Son of God clothing His divinity with humanity, that He might rescue mankind from the power of Satan
- His victory in our behalf, opening heaven to all, that humanity can become partakers of divine nature
- revealing to human vision the presence chamber where the Deity unveils His glory
- uplifting the fallen race from the pit of ruin into which sin had plunged it
- restoring us again into connection with the infinite God and exalting us to His throne.
He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Romans 8:32
When we seem to doubt God’s love and distrust His promises, we dishonor Him and grieve His Holy Spirit. All this is harming your own soul. You are inviting Satan’s temptations with every word of doubt. If you talk out your feelings, every doubt you express not only reacts upon yourself, but it is a seed of doubt that bear fruit in the life of others. You may recover from the temptation, but others, who have been swayed by your influence, may not be able to escape from the unbelief you have suggested. How important is that we speak only those things that will give spiritual strength in life.
We influence others around us
None of us liveth to himself. Romans 14:7
By our influence others may be encouraged and strengthened, or they may be discouraged and repelled from Christ and the truth. When his love reigns in the heart, we shall follow His example. Wherever Jesus went, He carried rest, peace, joy and gladness. How to love others the way as Christ has loved us:
- if our thoughts dwell upon the wondrous love and pity of Christ for us, the same spirit will flow out to others
- we should love and respect one another, notwithstanding the faults and imperfections in us
- cultivating humility, self-distrust and a patient tenderness with the faults of others
- not overlooking the present blessings – the bounties of God’s love and providence
- not dwelling upon something disagreeable, which we fear may come or some difficulty may exist
- we should give all our difficulties to God – the only source of our help
- not allowing perplexities and worries of every-day life to trouble the mind.
Jesus has promised His aid, but not apart from our effort
In His prayer Christ said: I pray not that thou shouldst take them out of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them from the evil. In the world, He says, ye shall have tribulation; but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John 17:15; 16:33.
He taught His disciples precious lessons in regard to the necessity of trusting in God. They have come down to our time full of instruction and comfort. The Savior pointed His followers to the birds of the air and the flowers of the field.
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Mathew 6:26
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin; Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Mathew 6:28, 30
Will not the One who formed us in His own divine image provide for our necessities if we trust in him?
The trial will not exceed the strength that shall be given us to bear
Jesus says: My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. These things have I spoken unto you that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. John 14:27; 15:11. Every step in life may bring us closer to Jesus and give us a deeper experience of His love. Moreover, it may bring us one step nearer to the blessed home of peace.
Then let us take up our work just where we find it, believing that whatever may come strength proportionate to the trial will be given.
Admitting God’s children through the gates of Heaven
Do you long to here the voice of the King of Glory?
Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. Matthew 25:34
The redeemed will be welcomed to the home that Jesus is preparing for them. They are those who through divine grace have formed perfect characters. Every imperfection has been removed by the blood of Christ. Furthermore, the excellence and brightness of His glory is imparted to them. In view of the glorious inheritance that may be theirs, what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? Matthew 16:26.
The whole heart must be yielded to God, or the change can never be wrought in us by which we are to be restored to His likeness.
Those who have experienced the love of Christ cannot be idlers in the Master’s vineyard. They will see opportunities for helping others in their steps to Christ. Partaking of Christ’s love, they will labor for the souls of others. Let every soul copy the Pattern, and become missionaries in the highest sense, winning souls to Jesus.
In order to:
- share a testimony
- ask for a hard copy of Steps To Christ
- make suggestions
- ask a question
- share any other thoughts
please use the form bellow. We thank you in advance.
Previous chapter: What to Do With Doubt »
Download more chapters:
- YI, Oct, 1892; AA 284; 7T 10; 5T 606, 610; – The Ellen G. White Estate
- King James Version (KJV) Bible – BibleGateway
Browse articles categories
Know God – about God and His Only-begotten Son Jesus Christ »
Experience God – His love, mercy, righteousness, and other awesome attributes of His character »
Settle into God’s Truth – the way that you cannot be moved with eyes fixed upon the Savior »
Victory in Christ – the wonderful possibility of being like Christ »
Threefold message – light of the world development prior to Christ second advent »
Salvation for everyone – he sinless One has taken your place and He has borne your guilt »
Thank you for stopping by.
May your own experience in beholding Christ helps you find that God is exactly who He claims to be.
Don’t know where to start or need help?
Subscribe to our content »
Find out how to support us WITHOUT donations »
Tell us how we do in your Feedback »